OpenStack for Beginners
Over the last year I’ve seen a shift happening in the virtual world that looks very positive for the founders of OpenStack.
Alternative for vSphere
And even VMware has jumped on the bandwagon…
…But all too concerning that VMware will eventually acquire the open source cloud software company that powers many of the cloud infrastructures that have not been adopters of VMware.
And OpenStack has a large community (mostly Linux enthusiast) that have made OpenStack a successful product that is continuing to gain market share and make converts of VMware’s community.
Getting started with OpenStack
- Basic Installation Guide for Ubuntu 12.04 (LTS) and Debian Wheezy
- Basic Installation Guide for Fedora 18
- Installation Guide for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS, and Fedora
- Installation Guide for Ubuntu 12.04 (LTS)
Downloading the OpenStack Code
OpenStack Basics – Overview Video
OpenStack Cloud Computing Cookbook (More Info)
Over 100 recipes to successfully set up and manage your OpenStack cloud environments with complete coverage of Nova, Swift, Keystone, Glance, and Horizon
From Installing Nova in a Virtual Environment to installing OpenStack in the Datacenter, from understanding logging to securing your OpenStack environment, whatever level of experience or interest you have with OpenStack there are recipes that guide you through the journey. Installation steps cover Compute, Swift, Keystone, Nova Volumes, Glance and Horizon.
What you will learn from this book?
- Understand, install and configure Nova, OpenStack’s Cloud Compute resource.
- Learn how to install Swift, how it operates with practical recipes to troubleshooting and maintaining OpenStack’s Object Storage service.
- Configure Keystone, OpenStack’s Identity Service which underpins the authentication of all OpenStack services.
- Master the complete private cloud stack from scaling out compute resources to managing swift services for highly redundant, highly available storage.
- Practical, real world examples of each service are built upon in each chapter allowing you to progress with the confidence that they will work in your own environments.
- This book is aimed at system administrators and technical architects moving from a virtualized environment to cloud environments with familiarity of cloud computing platforms.
How to install OpenStack on VMware?
The quickest way to install OpenStack on VMware is to use the VMware OpenStack Virtual Appliance.
What is VOVA?
VOVA is a virtual appliance that helps VMware users get hands-on with OpenStack running on vSphere, fast.
Like many other appliances, you just import it right into vCenter.
OpenStack Quick Start in 3 Easy Steps
1. Download the 3.0 GB file*. Here’s the link VOVA Download (updated link)
*Please note this is a beta product.
2. Watch this video that shows you how easy this is.
VMware Openstack Virtual Appliance Video
3. Read the VOVA deployment instructions (PDF).
Note: The VMware Openstack Virtual Appliance is a proof of concept from the VMware Labs but it’s great for getting started.
For more assistance please visit the VOVA community.
Want more tips like this? Yes!
Subscribe to www.VMinstall.com and get personal tips sent to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong. Please try again.