Genymotion for Beginners In this post I’ll take you through an install I did of Genymotion, VirtualBox and Google Play. But First, What is Genymotion? Here’s what I determined from this evaluation: Basically Genymotion is a front end app that hooks into the VirtualBox API and gives you advanced emulation and development features. It also has a portal where you log into and download pre-formatted virtual machines already configured with various popular distros of Android OS. It has a free verson for personal use which has some limitions but is still worth installing. And it has a paid version which… [Read More]
Check out our collection of posts about virtualization. Learn best practice and tips that will boost your career.
5 Resume Hacks That Will Get You Noticed and Interviewed for [NEW] Cloud and DevOps Jobs… The rush has begun and more businesses are boldly starting to move their precious tier 1 applications to the cloud. But the problem they are running into is finding skilled staff to architect the trip there. Yes, it is getting harder, and harder, to find expertise and that is where I want to focus on for this lesson. Cold Calls… If your like me you get at least 2 – 4 emails or calls each week from recruiters looking for cloud architects with a… [Read More]
Now It’s Easy To Build Virtual Machines Like A Pro… There was a time when you could Google “virtual machine software” and only VMware and Java would come up. But those days are long gone and now almost everyone has gotten into the virtualization business. And though VMware is my favorite, I wanted to be fair to my readers and all the vendors who have products that should be tested and evaluated by anyone considering a career in virtualization, or by businesses considering a solution for their new datacenter or private cloud. Pick Your Favorite Color! Listed below are 10… [Read More]
An Overview of Bare Metal Virtualization Let’s start by explaining what the term bare metal refers to: It’s the physical state of server hardware (aka bare metal) filling server cabinets in most legacy data centers. Moreover each physical server is running one operating system such as Windows or Linux, and one application (aka platform). And in most cases bare metal servers are using less than 20% of available system resources (the other 80% is idle). This may not sound like much but it’s a big problem [or opportunity] when you calculate the cost of each physical server, and then multiply it by… [Read More]
How’s your data backup doing? Whether your business application stores financial data such as invoices, or PI (personal information) data such as personal or customer records – at the core of any business software is the DATA. What changed… Well, a lot has changed over the last decade as many IT departments have started using virtual technology. But be FOREWARNED because virtualizing your database server doesn’t add any additional data loss protection; in fact it makes database backup slightly more difficult due to the differences in physical versus virtual server hardware. What are the minimum backup requirements, now? The same as before…. [Read More]
OpenStack for Beginners Over the last year I’ve seen a shift happening in the virtual world that looks very positive for the founders of OpenStack. Alternative for vSphere And even VMware has jumped on the bandwagon… …But all too concerning that VMware will eventually acquire the open source cloud software company that powers many of the cloud infrastructures that have not been adopters of VMware. Cloud Providers OpenStack has also been a popular choice for hosting companies such as: HP Cloud, Rackspace, and Ulticloud. Community And OpenStack has a large community (mostly Linux enthusiast) that have made OpenStack a successful… [Read More]
Citrix XenApp for Beginners Don’t waste your time trying to figure out how to run Citrix XenApp on ESX, go straight to the source for help! I have worked with at least four different Citrix admins who have all tried to figure it out alone and all that did was make our Citrix user community suffer long term from profile issues and slowness. This PDF how to document covers it all from end to end with step by step instructions. Citrix XenApp Best Practices Here’s a link to VMware’s documentation for Citrix XenApp on VMware Best Practices Guide An example of what… [Read More]